DEQ's Newly Named Senior Director for Governmental Affairs and Policy
NCDEQ Announces Organizational and Staffing Decisions
John Nicholson, Chief Deputy Secretary, Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) notified departmental staff of several organizational and staffing changes in a Friday email on November 30.
Effective December 1, 2018:
- Linda Culpepper has been named permanent Director of the Division of Water Resources (DWR). Linda has served as interim director since November 2017.
- Jim Gregson is now permanent Deputy Director of DWR
- Danny Smith is the new Interim Director of the Division of Energy, Mineral and Land Resources (DEMLR). Danny has years of experience as a Regional Supervisor for the Division of Water Resources.
- Toby Vinson who recently served as Interim Director of the Division of Energy, Mining, and Land Resources will return to his position as Section Chief. Toby will also serve as DEQ's liaison to the new Office of Recovery and Resilience, located in the Department of Public Safety
- Sushma Masemore is now the Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Environment and State Energy Director. Sushma will oversee the Energy Group and lead DEQ's efforts in implementing Governor Cooper's Executive Order (EO) on Climate Change and Clean Energy. Sushma helped develop the EO and will guide the development of DEQ deliverables under the EO.
- Jennifer Mundt will transition from the State Energy office to serve as the department's lead policy representative in the office of Governmental Affairs and Policy. Jennifer will assist DEQ's Senior Director for Governmental Affairs and Policy on legislative issues.
- John Lucey will transition from the Communications office to the office of Governmental Affairs and Policy to fill the position of Legislative Liaison.
Effective December 4, 2018, Bridgette Morris-McLawhorn will serve as Executive Assistant to the Office of the Secretary. Bridgette currently supports the DWR Director.
On January 1, 2019, Joy Hicks will become DEQ's Senior Director for Governmental Affairs and Policy. Joy has worked as the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Legislative Director, and most recently as the Department of Transportation Legislative Director.